Week 49 - It's Hotter Than the Devil's Armpit!!!


Making transfer calls at the office
with the local Zone Leaders

August 24, 2015
Hey guys!! 

It sounds like it’s been an exciting week for everyone! First of all, congrats on the new calling, Dad!!  That is so exciting. I wish I could've been there for all of that. The young men will certainly miss you, however!  I can't imagine young men's without Dad!  But you will be a great counselor, and I am excited to hear more about how it goes, and to work alongside of Bishop Wride.  He is such a great, loving, inspired man! 

Sounds like the sprinklers have been throwing you all for a loop.  I fully take the blame for that one – because I glued those puppies together, so it's probably my fault.  I'm just glad that the patio didn't wash away in our backyard swamp! Grandpa and Dad have fixed their fair share of sprinklers in their days, so they are no rookies…I am sure this is nothing for them.

Elder Moore is going home! :(
Life here in Reno has been HECTIC like no other, but I have loved every second of it. So Tuesday was transfer day, and just like 6 weeks ago, it was non-stop all day.  But this time was even crazier because we had to move into a brand new apartment during the day, so that after the transfer meeting, the two new missionaries who were going to live there wouldn't be homeless! But it was so much fun. Going to the airport to pick up all the greenies is just a total blast! It's funny because you can often tell their personalities in the first few minutes...the quiet ones, the upbeat ones, it is cool. It's also fun to announce all the new greenies and their trainers, and they run out to meet each other.  That part of the day is always full of excitement. 

Taking the departing missionaries to the temple
On Tuesday, we didn't actually end up getting the Elders apartment set up before the transfer meeting, because we had a few other things come up.  But after the meeting was over, and we had dinner with the departing missionaries, we had to run up and move them in, and that didn't happen until like 10-10:30 at night, so we didn't get home until around 11 – and we still had to plan for our day on Wednesday.  So all in all, it was a long day. I really didn't think in a million years that I would drive a trailer more on my mission than during any other time in my life!  But all week we have been moving missionary’s furniture.  So we have been driving the van and trailer all over the mission – so you know that I have been in heaven all week...

A few days ago, we were going into a skilled nursing center to visit a member of our ward who is a quadriplegic. He enjoys having us come by and read the scriptures to him and talk for a few minutes.  As you can imagine, he gets pretty bored just staring at the ceiling in his room all day, every day. But anyways, we were going into visit him, and this random lady drove up, honked at us, and waved us over to her car. She then said in broken English, "Hey – my Mom needs a blessing, can you give her one?"  Once I realized it was broken English, I started speaking to her in Spanish, and her face just lit up with relief. It turns out that she is a local member of the Spanish branch in Sparks, and her mother (who is a member also) was really sick and in need of a blessing. She had tried calling the
Spanish missionaries and the Elders’ Quorum president, but couldn't get in touch with anyone, so she just drove to the care center, and there we were!  So we went in, and I explained the situation to Elder Freeman, and he agreed to go and help her. And then Freeman asked if the blessing was to be in English or Spanish, and I hadn't thought about that! But as it turned out, she preferred Spanish, so Elder Freeman anointed the older Hispanic lady in English, and then I gave the blessing and sealed the anointing in Spanish. I was super nervous, because it was only the second blessing I had ever given in Spanish!! I was so worried that I wouldn't know what to say, or how to say it, but the Lord blessed me, and it turned out fine. At church yesterday, we ran into the daughter and asked how her mom was doing, and she said that she is doing much better! I know that Heavenly Father placed us in her path at just the right moment. I know that the priesthood power is a real thing. I am grateful that I have been able to learn Spanish, and I am grateful that the Lord blesses me with the words I need when I need them. It was such a testimony-building experience for me.

As we spend more time with President Chesnut, it has been cool to slowly get to know Sister Chesnut. She is such a funny lady; I love her so much!!  She has been spending quite a bit of time out with the local sisters here in the Reno/Sparks area, and it is funny to hear her perspective on how lessons go. She recently went out with a set of sisters, and they guy they were teaching was giving them a lot of trouble, and she said, "I just wanted to hit him over the head with a baseball bat!" Hahaha we all got a kick out of that, because we often feel the exact same way!! It was just funny to hear it come from her.

I have been asked to speak on the Book of Mormon in Sacrament next Sunday, so I started preparing my talk today…just kinda putting some thoughts down on paper. But as I was doing that, the Holy Ghost testified to me once again of its truth and divinity. What a great, powerful, book!! I have no doubt in my mind of what it says in the introduction: "It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come."  What a powerful statement! It has definitely brought peace to my life, and I know it can bring the same peace to anyone.  They just have to read it and apply it with an open heart and a sincere desire. The Book of Mormon is no doubt the best and most powerful tool that I have to use as a missionary. Despite all the technology that we now have, the Book of Mormon was the thing that the earliest missionaries used, and it is the best thing we have to use now. Elder Freeman and I have made it a goal to use the Book of Mormon in every possible teaching situation, because we know of the great power that it has.

I know that anyone can feel of that same power by just simply opening it and reading it. If you are reading this and haven't read the Book of Mormon before, this is your invitation to do so, and try it out! I know it is true.

I love you guys so much!! You all truly inspire me to work harder and keep going, (even when it's hotter than the devil's armpit outside....) But have a great week!!

Love,
Elder Todd


p.s. we have a new mission blog...nevadarenomission.com

No comments:

Post a Comment