Week 58 - October is almost Over!

The copier wasn't cooperating...
October 26, 2015
Howdy!!!

How is life for everyone? It sounds like we have a bunch of athletes in the family, and congrats to MJ for breaking 25 minutes and Nathandawg for breaking 20 minutes in your meets!! That is awesome. Except now I'm scared to race when I get home! 

Our humble abode
Dad mentioned that I am living in luxury…and yes, it is a nice apartment! We are blessed. We have great living quarters here in the mission.  My street address is 1609 G Street in Sparks, NV – so feel free to check it out. 

This week we had some great lessons!! The work is really picking up and we have found some solid new people to teach who we are really excited about. One of them is Renee, who we street contacted a few weeks ago.  Then just this past week we both felt prompted to go by and see her, so we did and she answered the door and told us to come back the next day, so we did and had a great lesson with her. She is about 50 years old and has tons of potential! We gave her a Book of Mormon and she read some and then did some more research about the church on LDS.org.  She didn't make it to church, but she said instead she read and found some answers to a few questions she has. She is coming to our ward Trunk-or-Treat tomorrow night which should be tons of fun. Speaking of which...no one here knows what a Trunk-or-Treat is! Almost every single person, except members, that we have invited has never even heard of one. It is certainly not as big a deal here on the West Coast. It seems many people did one back in VA. So we gotta spread the love here!!

We also had the chance to do two exchanges this week. The ZLs (Zone Leaders) of the Quincy zone came down and blitzed our area for the day. I was with Elder Cruz and we had an awesome day together. We contacted a lady on the street and she expressed some interest in our message, so we gave her our phone number. She said she wanted to come to church, but would call us if she needed a ride. Well on Saturday I called her and she said she would call me, and wasn't sure, and then Saturday night she called back and wanted a ride!! So we had her neighbor bring her to church! Only problem is that she is moving from Sparks to Reno this week…so we will have to pass her off to the other Elders! 

Elder Krey and I...
puttin people on the right TRACK
with the Book of Mormon - haha!
On Saturday I had the privilege of spending the day with the one and only ELDER KREY in Fallon. We had such a blast together. My time with him was definitely one of my favorites, because we just click together. We have fun, but we work like dogs all day too. We did some tracting together on Saturday, and we literally ran between doors. He is such a great missionary. We set a goal the first night we got together that we wanted to have 20 baptisms as a companionship, and we have yet to have one, so we want to see if we could be companions again somewhere and reach our goal. I love him so much. I uploaded a few raps that he did...he can rap about anything at anytime...you just have to give him a beat! It is so funny.

We got pulled over this week by the police...it was actually hilarious. We were driving East on Prater Way by the church and Elder Freeman looked in his mirror and said, "Dang – I hate when cops are behind me, I always feel pressure not to do anything wrong." I jokingly added, "You should switch lanes and see if they follow us." So he did. He put his blinker on and switched over...and then the lights came on!!! We couldn't believe it! We weren't doing anything wrong and Elder Freeman made sure to use his blinker and check the speed and everything. So we pulled over and they (there were two of them) come up to us and tell us that because of our bike rack, they couldn't see our license plate – which is total bogus, because before we installed hitch-mounted bike racks we got approval for it! But anyways, they ran our licenses and insurance and everything. And they asked us why we were pulling out of the neighborhood that we
Me and Elder Freeman
had just left, before they pulled up behind us. I wanted to say, "We were preaching the good word, would you like to learn more?!" because we had just left a lesson. But Elder Freeman said before I could say anything, “that's where we live!” (Because it was, we had just driven by our home) and they thought that was surprising, because we live in a shady neighborhood...the other day some kid was just playing video games in his living rooms and someone fired a few random gunshots and it went through his front window and killed him. Thankfully we have the Lord's blessing over us!! But anyways, it was a funny encounter, and we got a kick out of it. 

This Saturday, Lavanda is getting baptized!  We were able to teach her a bunch this last week, and she is all good to go. We are really excited, we haven't had a baptism in a while, and so we are really looking forward to it. She is really a funny gal, and it’s fun to build relationships with these people. We are excited to get her more involved with visiting teaching and all that good stuff, because she just needs some good friends in her life, who she can rely on. 

So remember a few years ago when I wanted to have really long hair? And I hated getting haircuts?? Well those days are over...I got a haircut last week and asked for a number 2 on the sides and a number 4 on the top....I have gotten progressively shorter throughout my mission...I started with "just a trim" Then a #4 and a #6 and then it became a #3 and a #5 and now its a #2 and a #4. So you guys win!!! Elder Han is a great barber, too!! (And he doesn't charge a dime!!) 

Later today we are going to play TENNIS with some Priests in our ward, and I am pumped!! I haven't played tennis since the MTC...so I will have to get all the rust out of me. But I am actually really excited to play with my homies in the ward. They are on fall break, so they can come chill with us. 

In the New Testament this week I was reading through 2 Corinthians. I'll be honest, there was a lot I didn't understand and completely comprehend, but there were a handful of things that I learned. One verse I really liked was in chapter 10, verses 5 & 6:

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; and having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled." 

I really like that scripture. As missionaries, obedience is something that is constantly talked about, trained on, and discussed, and I like how it says revenge all disobedience. In other words, not letting anything disobedient happen. I know that as we ALL do that, even for you who are not missionaries, you will see many miracles in your life!

I know that this is HIS work and HIS gospel that I get to spread with others. It is such a great blessing in my life to dedicate all of my time to helping others come closer to Christ in the wake of my own conversion.

I love you guys! Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment